Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A traitor in the stadium

There's nothing quite like college football in the South and I had my first full immersion into this tradition this last weekend. Dear friends from Oklahoma came to Georgia for the OSU v UGA game Saturday night and the whole experience almost (almost) made me want to go back to college.


I did feel like Benedict Arnold, though. After spending six (!?!) wonderful (?!?) years with a Georgia Tech student, I knew that even saying the word "Athens" out loud may be cause for excommunication from the GaTech parent ranks.....and now I was actually going to that "other Georgia school" campus for a football game. My only saving grace was that I was cheering against Georgia - not necessarily for Oklahoma State, but certainly against Georgia.


Red was everywhere as we drove onto the campus - tents and tailgaters everywhere on every square inch of grass and parking lot. Coeds in cute little summer dresses, every guy wearing a UGA red shirt; satellite dishes, TVs, music, bar-b-que pits, fried chicken, guacamole; the "Dog Walk" where everyone watches UGA, the bulldog mascot, walk into the stadium; cheerleaders executing incredibly precise routines; the "Salute to Mayonnaise" half-time show; the fourth quarter chant; everyone singing the UGA alma mater.


UGA won the game, but that's ok because those boys at Georgia Tech womped up on Notre Dame. All is right with the world.

Go Jackets!

No comments: